- An hour and 15 minutes
- parchment paper
- 8X8 baking pan
- cutting board and bread knife
- stand or hand held mixer
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup kernza flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon (or 1/4 nutmeg and 1/4 cloves pending on preference of spices)
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened (can also use a butter substitute, such as Earth Balance butter if dairy free)
- 1/2 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cane sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 Tbs bourbon
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped pecans (can omit if sensitivity to nut allergies)
2. Combine the flours, baking powder, salt and spice. Set aside.
3. Mix on medium to low speed the butter, brown sugar and can sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing well after each addition. Stir in the bourbon and vanilla.
4. Slowly add the dry mixture to wet mixture, mixing with spatula just until combined then stir in the pecans, if desired.
5. Transfer the dough to baking sheet or pan. Shape the dough into a rectangle about 3 1/2 inches wide and 3/4 inch tall. The Dough will be a bit sticky and that is okay. Use whole wheat flour on fingertips if necessary to help you shape it.
6. Bake in oven for 25 minutes. Remove the pan from the oven and allow to cool for 7-10 minutes.
7. Use the parchment paper to transfer the biscotti to a cutting board. Using a bread knife, cut the biscotti into 2/4 inches crosswise slices.
8. Line the baking sheet with new parchment paper and place the biscotti, cut side down, onto the pan.
9. Bake for 22 minutes, or until browned. Cool on the pan for 10 minutes then transfer the biscotti to a wire rake to cool completely. Enjoy!