Prep: 2 min. (excluding overnight soak)
Cook Time: 20 min.
Total: 22 min.
- Small Sauce Pot
- Rubber spatula
- Small container or mixing bowl
- ½ Cup (85g, 3.0oz.) Kernza Grain
- ½ Cup (85g, 3.0oz.) steel cut oats or ¾ Cup (68g, 2.4oz.) rolled oats
- 1 Cup (250g, 8.8oz.) water
- 1 Cup (250g, 8.8oz.) Almond milk
- You may substitute with milk, or just add an additional cup of water
- ½ Tsp (2g, 0.07oz.) salt
- ¼ Tsp (0.6g, 0.02oz.) ground cinnamon
- 1 Tbsp (5g, 0.2oz.) brown sugar
Kernza goes great with your favorite oatmeal preparation. These recipes are meant to serve as a base, giving you freedom to add your favorite oatmeal toppings! Included are recipes for steel cut and rolled oats. If you would like to increase the batch size, you can save any un-eaten oatmeal in the freezer!
Method using Steel Cut Oats
- Place Kernza grain and steel cut oats in a container, and cover with water.
- Place container in fridge to soak overnight or at least five hours.
- When soaked, drain the oats and Kernza.
- Place grains, salt, sugar, and cinnamon in a small sauce pot, and cover with one cup of water and almond milk.
- Heat on stove top at high heat while stirring.
- Once it begins to boil, reduce the heat to low to maintain a simmer, and cover the pot
- Set a timer for twenty minutes.
- Stick around for the first five minutes in case the liquid decides to boil over.
- Once a slight simmer is maintained, it is alright to walk away. Stir occasionally if you’d like.
- When twenty minutes are up, stir the oats, taste, and adjust seasoning to your liking.
- Add your favorite oatmeal toppings, and enjoy warm.
Method using Rolled Oats
- Repeat steps 1 through 8 above, but this time, use only the Kernza grain.
- When 15 minutes of cooking have elapsed, add rolled oats, and stir to incorporate
- Cook for the additional five minutes.
- When finished, adjust seasoning as you see fit.