Makes 1 large loaf
Prep Time: 30 mins
Bake Time: 40-50 mins
- 2 cups Kernza Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups buttermilk, or a bit more as needed
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon honey
- ¼ cup dried cranberries or raisins
- Preheat the oven to 425 F (328 C).
- Lightly grease a baking sheet and dust with a little flour.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the buttermilk, egg, and honey. Make a well in the center of the flour and pour in the buttermilk mixture. Using one hand or a large spoon, stir together in full circles starting in the center of the bowl and working towards the outside until all of the flour is incorporated.
Add a little more buttermilk if the dough seems too stiff, it should be soft but not too wet and sticky.
- Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. With floured hands, gently pat the dough into a round shape. Transfer the loaf to the prepared baking sheet. Mark a deep cross using a serrated knife and prick each of the four quadrants.
- Bake the bread for about 15 minutes then reduce the oven temperature to 400 F (204 C) and continue baking until the loaf is browned and sounds hollow when tapped, about 30 to 35 more minutes. Transfer the loaf to a wire rack to cool