- Prep: 40 minutes
- Cook Time: 18-20 minutes
- Total: 1 hour
- ⅓ Cup (30g., 1.06 oz.) Kernza flour
- ¼ Cup (35g., 1.23 oz.) All purpose flour
- ¼ Cup (60g., 2.10 oz.) Light brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. (56.5g., 2 oz., ¼ Cup) Cold unsalted butter
- 1/2 Tsp. (1.25g., 0.04 oz.) Ground cinnamon
- ¼ Tsp. (1.5g., 0.05 oz.) Coarse salt
- 2.5 Cups (220g., 7.75 oz.) Kernza flour
- 1 Cup ( 235g., 8.3 oz.) Light brown sugar
- 12 Tbsp. (170g., 6.0 oz.) Unsalted butter (Or 5 Tbsp. (64g., 2.25 oz.) Canola oil)
- ½ Cup (145g., 5.10 oz.) Milk
- 2 Large Eggs (100 g., 3.5 oz)
- ¾ Tsp. (1.85g., 0.07 oz.) Ground cinnamon
- ¾ Tsp. (4g., 0.14 oz.) Coarse salt
- 1 Tsp. (4g., 0.14 oz.) Baking powder
We prefer these for breakfast next to a hot cup of coffee, but you really cannot go wrong enjoying them at any time of the day. The streusel can be made ahead of time, and it keeps quite well in the fridge. Try it on your favorite pastry!
- Dice cold butter into small cubes
- Add all ingredients into a mixing bowl
- Crush and mix everything together with a fork until no loose flour/sugar remains.
- If using a food processor: Add all ingredients - including diced butter - to the bowl, and pulse until no loose flour/sugar remains.
- Keep in the fridge until ready to use.
- Preheat your oven to 425 Fahrenheit.
- Prepare your 12-cup muffin pan by placing muffin liners in each cup and applying a coat of non-stick spray.
- Melt the unsalted butter in a small sauce pot on the stove. Once melted, remove from heat, and allow to cool slightly.
- In a medium sized mixing bowl, add the Kernza flour, cinnamon, salt, and baking powder, and whisk until everything is evenly combined.
- In a separate smaller bowl, whisk two eggs together. Add the brown sugar, and milk; whisk again to combine. Finally, add the melted butter, and whisk one more time to combine.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry, and gently mix/fold together with a rubber spatula until everything is barely incorporated.
- Fill each muffin cup with batter, leaving about a half centimeter of exposed paper.
- Sprinkle a generous portion of streusel atop each muffin: No batter should be visible underneath.
- Bake on the center rack for eighteen minutes, no longer than twenty.
- When finished, allow the muffins to cool until you can no longer resist.